Who: Hardcore Craft Beer/Solidarity
What: Darkside, a celebration of all things dark beer (stouts, porters, black ales, dark lagers, barrel-aged monstrosities)
Where: Emporium Arcade Bar
When: February 22nd, 12-4pm
How: Into the dark maw of your gullet.
$25 dollars = 8 samples, (32 oz total) of dark beer + a bag of tokens for video games. Full pours can also be purchased. Tap list is at the end of this post, plus the flyer.
Johnny Van BBQ is available! This is some legit smoke pit master stuff.
PERENNIAL ARTISAN ALES
Loomi Weisse :: Sump Coffee Stout
SOLEMN OATH BREWERY
Kavorka :: Psychogaze
Shake Chocolate Porter Nitro
Mean Gene :: Bean Gene
Bell’s Rye Stout
STONE BREWING CO.
4 HANDS BREWING
Madagascar :: Bona Fide Imperial Stout
Grand Guignol; Act One :: (Abduction TBD)
SURLY BREWING CO
Barrel Aged Tongue Buckler :: Indra Kunindra
MARZ COMMUNITY BREWING
Marz/Antithesis Double Black IPA with Espresso
Might Meets Right with Vanilla
Caramel Chocolate Porter
HALF ACRE BEER
OFF COLOR BREWING
The Misterioso Porter
Do you like pizza and dogs? If the answer is no, seriously, your cold black heart doesn’t belong here. Nellcôte loves pizza, to the point of milling their own flour for their pizza dough, and they clearly love dogs. They’re donating a portion of all pizza profits during National Pizza Week (January 5th to the 12th) to One Tail at a Time, a Chicago-based no-kill dog rescue.
Pizzas on the menu include:
margherita: san marzano tomato sauce / basil /extra virgin olive oil / domestic mozzarella
sunny side up organic egg: d.o.p. fontina / mozzarella / arugula
spicy n’duja: calabrian salami / pickled peppers / spinach / garlic / smoked provolone
house made fennel sausage: san marzano tomato sauce / wood roasted mushrooms / parmigiano / mozzarella
grilled blue shrimp: roasted cherry tomatoes / smoked provolone / chili flake / grilled rapini / tomato sauce
NEW, Vegan Pie–topped with pesto, arugula, basil, capers, lemon, watercress, roasted eggplant caponata, raw sliced garlic, and 12 year balsamic for $14.
Check back here next week for some pairing ideas! Pale Ales and that fennel sausage is a good start. There’s quite the cocktail list as well though.
Movies, Sour Beers, Xmas Beers!
Bonus, maybe Chris and Trey (and possibly myself) will make some silly holiday sandwich pairings.
The Bruery – Oude Tart
The Bruery – Tart of Darkness
Jolly Pumpkin/Upland – Persimmon Ship
Great Lakes – Christmas Ale
Three Floyds – Alpha Klaus
Evil Twin – Christmas Eve At A NYC Hotel Room
Port Brewing – Santa’s Little Helper
Lost Abbey – Merry Taj
Movies: (Keeping it family friendly during the dinner hour, and getting progressively darker from there.)
6:00 pm – National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
7:45 pm – Gremlins
9:30 pm – Saint Nick
11 pm – Black X-Mas
I’m trying to focus on just a few XMAS-related beer events and specials, because: 1) there’s too damn many 2) there’s almost too much of a style range for holiday beer 3) you can only go to so many places in one night unless you’re superhuman.
Emporium Arcade’s Wicker Park location did all the dirty work with Christmas Beer Overkill. They’ve amassed a stunningly large and almost comprehensive list of Christmas and Holiday-related beers. Then they decided to tap them all for one event, no tickets or charge, just visit, sample, play video games, win at life. Simple really. I’ll be there after work for a few. There’s an ugly sweater contest, if you need a reason to stop by that isn’t awesome beer (what’s wrong with you…). The draft list is below, with notes by me.
– Abita Christmas Ale
– Anderson Valley Winter Solstice
– Bell’s Christmas Ale yum. been awhile since I’ve had this sessionable, yuletide treat.
– Boulder Slope Style NITRO excited to try this.
– Boulevard Nutcracker Another classic.
– Breckenridge Christmas Ale
– Dark Horse 4Elf Another one I’m excited to try, as everyone I know seems to be drinking it and then posting about it on the internet.
– Deschutes Jubelale Duh. I wrote about this when Deschutes first came to Chicago because it has that kind of reputation.
– Evil Twin Christmas Eve At A New York City Hotel Room An awfully specific name.
– Goose Island Festivity Ale Most PC beer?
– Great Lakes Christmas Ale A classic. Also, one to pair with holiday dinner.
– Jolly Pumpkin Noel de Calabaza Yes. Yes. Yes. I just opened a 2011. Drink some on Thursday, then buy a bottle to hold onto.
– Mikkeller Hoppy Loving Christmas
– New Belgium Accumulation
– North Coast Wintertime Ale Another I’ve never had and can’t wait to try.
– Ommegang Adoration
– Pipeworks Santa vs. Unicorn
– Port Santa’s Little Helper Another beer of legendary stature.
– Revolution Fistmas Chicago’s best local Xmas beer?
– Ridgeway Bad Elf Winter’s Ale Before the recent craft beer explosion, this was a must ever year. It still is.
– Sierra Nevada Celebration A classic. This might be one the first “Whales”, in that I Remember people always trying to track this beer down even a dozen years ago.
– Southern Tier 2Xmas I have only the memory of warmth and goodness left from the last time I over-indulged on this.
– The Bruery 7 Swans This is the reason for the season. Another I recommend trying now, and then buying a bottle for aging.
– Three Floyds Alpha Klaus The hoppy, spiced porter that invented the Black IPA before anyone cared to use that silly, marketing-derived name.
– To Øl Frost Bites Holiday IPA
– Two Brothers Peppermint Bark
– Victory Winter Cheer